Accommodation en route to Lighthouse Reef
- Old Vic travellers Inn - 013-744 0993 or 082 340 1508
- Town Lodge Nelspruit - 013-741 1444
- Chez Vincent - 013-744 1146
- River Hill Lodge Komatipoort (Recommended) 013-793 7855 or 083 272 2224
- Border Country Inn Hotel 013-793 7100 or 013-790 7928
- Buckler’s Africa 013-793 7818 or 084 400 0703
- Casa do Campo - It’s a few kilometers past the border. Contact Collin Swart on: 00285-82 7650 460 or 00258-82 4417 060
- Casa Lisa (50km north of Maputo) Bruce Buckland 00258-82 304 1990
- Blue Anchor Inn (next to Casa Lisa)(Recommended) 00258-82 325 3050
- Guest House (in Maputo) – 7 en-suite bedrooms/dinner/breakfast Kleintjie 00258-84 583 7080 or Johan 00258-84 3276 330
- Nhambavale Lodge (beautiful camping) Contact Derick 00258-82 8382 840
- Pomene Beach Resort : 083 600 5224
At the Border
The border is open daily from 6am till 12pm. Usually the border is open for 24 hours during holidays. Please phone the Lebombo Border to confirm. The contact number is: 013-793 7311.
What you need at the border: Valid Passport; Vehicle & Trailer registration papers. From 18 April 2005 visas are no longer needed for South African Passport holders!!
Extra expenses at border: R20/passport entrance fee; ± 35Mt for vehicle documents & R150 third party insurance for vehicles & R80 for boats & trailers. Insurance available on the border.
Car Hire, Bus services, Flights, etc
Transport / Car Hire: Renta Car: +258 2932 125
Bus Service from SA: +258 82 7576 540 or +27 82 8291 540
LAM Airline Flights: Janine - 011 - 447 0815
Other important information and contact details
Lighthousereef Reception: +258-2-935 6310; Fax: +258-2-935 6355
Lebombo Border Post: 013 - 793 7311
Report Corruption to: +258 800 222 222 / 828 002 222 / 848 002 222
2 day Marine Forecast: www.buoyweather.com
10 day Weather Forecast: http://www.foreca.com/Mozambique/Inhambane
Fishing Charters @ Lighthousreef:
- Ralph - Sea Bound - +258-84 8114
There are toll gates between the border & Maputo: 95Mt, 17.5Mt , and again at Xai-Xai: 20Mt (only when you travel south to Maputo).
The border is open at Pafuri, but only accessible to 4x4 outdoor Adventurers. Drive through the Limpopo River – there's no bridge – Not recommended during rainfall season. Can’t tow a boat and need to be at least 2 vehicles. Link to Vilanculos.
Border open from 8am at the Giriyondo Border Post.
Contact number: +27-13-735 8919
First 70km after border not for towing.
Accomodation: Machampane (Transfrontier Trail do Limpopo) +27-(0)82 655 2404 Fax: +27-(0)21-701 7870. Link to Chibutu, Xai-Xai.
Maputo to Inhambane
They are still upgrading the road from Maputo to Beira. The road is almost finished up to Xai-Xai. The 95km north of Xai-Xai is uneven with some potholes. Please be patient.
PLEASE don’t exceed the speed limits of 60km/u in the villages. If the limit is 60km, rather drive less. They stop you even if you exceed the limit with 1km/u. Don’t pass a still standing vehicle on a solid line. Wait patiently or blow your vehicle’s horn. If you experience any problems with police, etc in Mozambique, or if Officials want bribes, complete the Bribery Report (Supplied by the Resort) Remember to ask for a receipt for fines paid. Don't be intimidated, but be friendly.
At the fork in Lindele, turn right– then ± 24km on road to Inhambane. Don’t use Jangamo turnoff – road too narrow, especially for boats!!! Turn right at signposts of all the resorts (Paindane, Coconut Bay, Guinjata, Jangamo, etc.) ± 20km red sand road (like a gravel road), then deflate tyres at white sand road (± 5km) to Lighthouse Reef.
Deflate your tires to 0,8 bar – road not accessable for cars, only 4x4 vehicles and 2x4 LDV’s with diff lock, preferably accompanied by 4x4.
Available in all major towns from R12.00/liter
Fill up in Komatipoort, again in Xai-Xai & Inharrime (for driving around in Resort).
Unleaded petrol & air available in Inharrime.
Petrol & Diesel also available in Inhambane.
Petrol cards aren’t accepted.
- Next >>